Here is my Tiger Quilt!
The October challenge for Island Batik Ambassadors was to create a small quilt using Aurifil’s special Endangered Species thread collection.
I was given the Sumatran Tiger set, which included three shades of orange thread.
The Tiger Quilt Comes to Life
Planning the Tiger Quilt took me down several paths. I thought about a wholecloth thread play, maybe with a silhouette of the tiger surrounded by free motion designs. A Google search for “tiger mandala” inspired more stitching ideas.
Ultimately, I simplified my ideas and turned to a favorite animal pattern designer – Elizabeth Hartman. I pieced the Antonia Tiger using Island Batik fabrics in white, grey and black solids, along with some off-white Rice and a fun green print.
Time for Quilting
When the piecing was done, it was time to add the free motion quilting details. First, I started with the lightest shade in the 2021 Aurifil Color Builder – Sumatran Tiger Collection (#2214). This added texture around the face and in the ears.
Then I used the medium shade (#1133) over the grey fabrics in the center of the tiger’s face.
The darkest shade (#1104) added some leaves in the border. I think I was subconciously influenced by Frida Kahlo!
See more of my floral quilting here.
The stitching really shows up on the plain grey backside.
Tigers are such gorgeous creatures. I love visiting the Phoenix Zoo with my family. They have a beautiful African Savannah with my favorite animals – giraffes.
It would be amazing to take a safari or a trip to Indonesia to see big cats like the Sumatran Tiger in their natural habitat. Unfortunately, less than 400 tigers are left on the island of Sumatra. Learn more about them from World Wildlife Fund.
Please visit the other 2021 Island Batik Ambassadors to see their quilts for the Aurifil Endangered Species Challenge.
- Megan Best – Bestquilter
- Pamela Boatright – PamelaQuilts
- Elizabeth DeCroos – Epida Studio
- Jennifer Eubank – Archipelago Quilting
- Jennifer Fulton – The Inquiring Quilter
- Preeti Harris – Sew Preeti Quilts
- Joanne Hart – Unicornharts
- Mania Hatziioannidi – Mania for Quilts
- Jane Hauprich – Stitch by Stitch Custom Quilting
- Connie Kauffman – Kaufmann Designs
- Emily Leachman – The Darling Dogwood
- Denise Looney – For the Love of Geese
- Leah Malasky – Quilted Delights
- Sally Manke – Sally Manke Fiber Artist
- Maryellen McAuliffe – Mary Mack Made Mine
- Claudia Porter – Create with Claudia
- Gail Renna – Quilt Haven Threads
- Brianna Roberts – Sew Cute and Quirky
- Michelle Roberts – Creative Blonde
- Gail Sheppard – Quilting Gail
- Jennifer Thomas – Curlicue Creations
- Suzy Webster – Websterquilt
- Janet Yamamoto – Whispers of Yore
What animals have inspired your quilts?
Lovely tiger quilt and quilting. Thanks for showing the back. Have a great day!
Awesome. It is soo cute.